Monday, 7 April 2014

Stand Up And Write!

When I was in NC, my friends introduced me to the concept of a standing desk.  For someone with back and pelvic issues (I am still in my twenties, I swear!), this is a really great idea.  So, while I totally have no room for a standing desk, I can adapt the chest of drawers in my office for this purpose. Voila!

Sandwiched by Colony's previous drafts

So far, so good! It's set at my height (yes, I'm fairly small) and it's comfortable for my wrists.  I just feels kind of nice to stand and work for periods of time rather than sitting cramped at my desk all the time and banging my knees every time I want to switch positions :P Plus I can dance along to my music (well, sway), and type at the same time. Win!

11 comments:

  1. I think my first attempt at this comment got lost in the Monday void. That looks really cool! Keep us posted on how you adjust to the standing desk life. :D

    I've been tempted to order the pasts for an Ikea standing desk for aaaggggees. http://iamnotaprogrammer.com/Ikea-Standing-desk-for-22-dollars.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! So far, my old manuscript box is doing the job perfectly. Them's the joys of being short ;) I'll definitely keep you guys updated :D

      Delete
  2. OMG! I really need one of these. I've gained so much weight from just sitting around all day.

    You're lucky you have a chest of drawers for your height. I have two but they're so big.

    Is that a Cath Kidston box your laptop is on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you could build something that would work. Yes, that's a Cath Kidston file box. It's just the right height :)

      Delete
    2. Yeah I was thinking of just putting my laptop on a stack of books lol!

      Oooh! I love them so much! So pretty! Mine are all plain colours.

      Delete
  3. Ingenius idea! Might try it as I'm used to standing up more than I am sitting ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Don't sit down much at the day job, so it converts quite nicely to the writing side of life ;)

      Delete
  4. I need to try this more often. I've occasionally worked at the kitchen counter, which was a nice change of scenery and didn't kill my back. I used to do this with my son when he was little and had trouble sitting still during school lessons. Kids need to get their wiggles out, so standing helps. I guess that doesn't change much when we get older! Glad this new tactic is working for you so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids definitely need to get their wiggles out... and writers, too ;)

      Delete
  5. I really want a standing desk at my work! It would be so great.

    ReplyDelete