Previously...

Welcome to another Previously! Join in and tell us how your February went.

Huge thanks to Carrisa Taylor for making the adorable banners. You can find a selection here!

Previously in Writing

Alas, the idea I dabbled with last month didn't really go anywhere, so I decided to stop and switch over to editing my second Ghost!Story book. I think I'm going to focus on that for now. It feels nice to go back to that world after a break. I know the traditional advice is to leave other books in a series alone when you don't have an agent for the first, but this is what I want to work on, so I am.

Previously in Reading

After an unexpected Stephen King DNF, I took an (almost) month long reading break until I picked up a thriller called The Alchemist's Secret. It was completely bonkers, but an easy enough read. If anyone has any good thriller or crime novels they'd like to recommend, please leave them in the comments below ^_^

Next Time in Goals

As I'm currently in the middle of two big training courses (professional development, woo!), I'm going to aim to finish off typing up my current round of edits. I think it's quite doable.

Oh, and memorise the finger positions for the key of D major on my violin.


Knowing the notes, the tones and the semitones will make things easier ;)

A Word of Advice

I feel like part of my writing troubles right now stem from the feeling I have unfinished business with my Ghost!Story series... I'm going to expand on this in another post on Friday, but if an old idea is keeping you from moving on, I think it's fine to spend some more time with it tying off loose ends until the next shiny new idea comes along.

And for today's musical inspiration, I've got to share something from Successor because it is such a great album. Got Spotify? Check the album out in its entirety here!


Man, now I feel ready to take on the WORLD!

Catch you all at the end of March :D Be sure to leave your link below ^_^

Comments

  1. I definitely agree about working on the project that calls to you the most. Good luck with editing your ghost story. Boo for writing troubles. I'm sure something new will come to you soon enough. They always do, especially when you aren't looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's those moments when you least expect it that something good comes along ^_^

      Delete
  2. I needed to read that advice. Thank you! Good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck with the courses! :)

    I hear you about old ideas nagging at you. Sometimes it takes a while for the next winning story to come along, so working on your Ghost!Story series sounds like a good plan!

    I've mostly been reading high fantasy over the past few weeks, but I hope you find something you'd like to read soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Nearing the end of one now...

      Yeah, as long as I'm not twiddling my thumbs, inspiration will strike.

      I hope so, too. I've been so uninspired with reading lately...

      Delete
  4. I fully agree! When it comes to novels, we have to write what we *feel* like writing. What we're drawn to. Whenever I try to do otherwise, it just doesn't work out well. My best writing is always the writing when I'm inspired. And I adore taking long writing breaks to refresh the creative teapot till it's brimming!

    I was trying to think of a thriller to rec, but I admit I haven't read many aside from Gone Girl, and then John Grisham and Tony Hillerman ages ago. I've also been meaning to pick up Damage Done as it was written by the agent who helped me land my agent, and apparently is quite the ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm a big believer in going with your gut. And learning to accept the need for downtime has been such a help.

      I'll check out Damage Done. I do love a great thriller, and it's really what I'm in the mood for right now.

      Delete
    2. I also just started THE SACRED LIES OF MINNOW BLY, which is so far pretty interesting. Juvenile Crime, Cult, etc.

      Delete
    3. Oooh, that does sound good.

      Delete
  5. Completely agree about working on the project that calls to you most. Art is about following your heart, as easy as it is to forget that when faced with business decisions. You're making the right choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is about following your heart, especially as I currently have no business-related decisions to make. HOORAY!

      Delete
  6. I've got an unfinished novel nagging me right now. I don't even know why I'm putting it off, except that I'm waiting for a new round of edits for another story, which is kind of silly. Why am I wasting this time?! Thanks to your comments, I'm feeling inspired to dive back into that old story. Hope you have a wonderful week, Cole!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Good luck ^_^

      Thanks. Same to you, Katy :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts