Concert Review - Symphony of the Goddesses


Last night, my friend Laura and I went to Symphony of the Goddesses, a Legend of Zelda concert with symphonic arrangements of music from the series. It was amazing just how much they crammed in! Plus we were given three encores. Wow! What a brilliant night.

This was my first concert outside of the UK, and I got to go with my best friend. Fun story; the reason I had to go to this performance with Laura, rather than the far more local one in London later this month, is because her dad tweeted me this last year:

I made up my mind there and then that LAURA AND I HAD TO GO TOGETHER!

So we did ;) And it was well worth travelling for! Attending a concert with your best friend means you've got someone to be super excited with before and someone to squee with afterwards. We're both fans, and Twilight Princess is especially nostalgic because we played it back when we were at college together at UNC.

The concert was perfect.

The audience in the US were every bit as enthusiastic as the audiences I've been a part of back home in the UK. We videogame music fans have a shared passion no matter where we come from. It was so lovely to see families attending, too. A series like Zelda really can cross the generations. There were a lot of adorable Links and Zeldas in the crowd.

We were treated to symphonic arrangements from Ocarina of Time, Triforce Heroes, Wind Waker, A Link Between Worlds, A Link to the Past, Twilight Princess, Majora's Mask and Skyward Sword. We were also given an amazing battle theme medley, Prelude - Creation of Hyrule, a heart-pounding rendition of Gerudo Valley, and the Song of Time. I cannot lie - there were tears. The moment the title theme from Ocarina of Time sang out, I was in pieces. It was just so beautiful, and a definite highlight for me. As Laura said, I didn't know I had so many feelings about that game until I heard that music again.


When the orchestra powered through Gerudo Valley, they fired up every single person in that arena. You could feel the thrill in the air. If you are a Zelda fan, you need to hear that performed live. And hearing the Prelude was incredibly powerful. It brought the creation myth of Hyrule to life in a way I've never experienced before.

Every piece took me through the games again. I felt everything. I think part of the reason videogame music is so emotive is because you are in control of the journey. It's not just the character's story, it's yours, too. It's why the music can pull you in and evoke so many feelings.

Like the Distant World concerts, Symphony of the Goddesses uses in-game footage while the orchestra plays. However, the screen not only showed scenes from the games, it also allowed us to hear messages from Koji Kondo, the composer, Shigeru Miyamoto, the creator of Legend of Zelda, and Eiji Aonuma, the producer. It was great to hear what the music means to them, and how happy they are to be able to share it with us in this way. The screen also gave us up close images of the orchestra and choir, which I really enjoyed. We could really see and appreciate the talented musicians. And I was thrilled to hear a choir again.  They added an extra layer of drama and urgency. Their powerful voices rose above the orchestra, especially during the Twilight Princess symphonic arrangement. It gave me chills.


I highly recommend this concert. Be sure to check the link I posted at the top of the review to see when it's coming near you. My fellow UK fans can go to the concert in London on the 23rd of this month. Go, go, go! You will have the time of your life.

Comments

  1. Sounds amazing - if it wasn't for it being an expensive month and my particular dislike for Wembley Arena as a music venue, I'd be hopping straight to the UK concert. Hopefully there'll be another round, or I may venture further afield like you did :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's well worth travelling for. I had such a great time.

      Delete
  2. Sounds absolutely fantastic, especially hearing Gerudo Valley live! Hopefully one day I'll be able to go. *daydreams*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quick, make plans to get to London on the 23rd!

      Actually, I think there's a good chance the concert will head to Scotland in the future. Sooo maybe just down to Glasgow?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts